High level stuff
Consortia, alliances and related
SmartCards Consulting and Testing
SmartCards and Devices Development
Leading chip vendors
- EU - STMicroelectronics - formed in 1987 by the merger between SGS Microelettronica (IT) and Thomson Semiconductors (FR) - probably
the largest global semiconductor manufacturer - analog/memory/SmartCards/IC/microprocessors/...
- NL - Philips/NXP - 8-bit WE, SmartMX, MIFARE contactless (originally
developed for public transport with 'low' security, contactless secure memory card, and although proprietary crypto,
included in ISO/IEC 14443) ...
- Ultralight: memory card - now secured version "C" without CRYPTO1 used by eg Confidex (Saferid)
- Classic: approximately 1 billion cards shipped (2007 estimate), based on proprietary CRYPTO1 algorithm, reverse-engineered end 2007 (Nohl/Plötz) and demonstrated to be insecure March 2008 by Radbout University
- DESFire: DES/3DES card
- SmartMX: e-passport chip e.g. used in the Netherlands
- NL/JP - NXP/Sony NFC as successor to Mifare (Philips) and FeliCa (Sony)
- DE - Infineon - shareholder of Cryptomathic
- SLE55, SLE66 contactless memory/contactless microcontroller - upto 3DES/AES in hardware/software
- also contact based memory, SAM, etc
- Starchip SCF33H for JavaCard - M2M, telecom, ...
- US - Texas Instruments - camera's, biometrics, ...
- US (San José, California) - Atmel
- US - IBM semiconductors
- Korea - Samsung Semiconductors
Chip R & D
Chip packaging and modules
Card production and personalisation
Vendors - EU
- BE - Zetes - barcodes/smartcards including Cards Encoding Cy
- BE - Zetes - cardsencodingcy Eurocard, VISA, ...
- BE - Technomedia - (1992, Luik) ref BELPIC e-id kiosk Seraing, ...
- BE - ProtonWorld - part of Australian ERG Group/STMicro
- BE - VSK - physical access control
- BE - IDCS - physical access control
- AU - ERG GROUP - mass transport solutioons - validators, cards, ...
- AU - Keycorp - smartcards, biometrics - ...
- EE - X-Roads - state database deployment for Estonia - by AS Cell Network
- NL - Payter - NFC stickers
- NL - SDU/Enschede - ID cards etc
- NL - CPS-Europe - includes contactless tokens, used e.g. by ABN Amrotip from Godot
- NL/UK - Bellid - ID cards and management systems
- UK - LisleDesign - Digital Tachograph Smart Card Reader
- UK - Intercede - card management - Rob De Bresser ...
- US - SCM Micro - all readers and micro devices eg digital photography
- US - IBM - JCOP and JPCSC implementation
- DE - Masktech - MTCOS, OS with embedded applications (e.g. on NXP, Infineon, ...) 50 ICAO members' e-passports
- DE - Giesecke - Devrient - Starcos (e.g. on Philips chip) HQ Munich
- DE - Kobil - including readers and Midentity >
- DE/FR - Sagem Orga (today Morpho) >
- DE - Siemens VDO Automotive- Digital Tachograph
- DE - Orga - ESTEID
- DE - Omnikey readers - also for Mac
- DE - Aloaha - pdf signers
- FI - Confidex - Saferid product for secure disposable tickets based on MiFare Ultralight C
- FI - Myotec Oy
- FI - Idesco - including cards for physical access - there is also www.idesco.com in US
- FI - Setec - now part of Gemplus - Gemalto
- ES - Salto Systems "airports, ships, hotels, ...
- ES - SAETIC
- SE - TagMaster "RFID tags up to 10 meters, in the unlicensed 2.45 GHz band"
- CH - Legic "the inventors of the 13.56 MHz smart card"
- CH - Trueb - IDcards for Estland and Hong-Kong
- JP/IL - Athena-SCS - cards and readers, also for Mac
- FR/DE - Morpho - ex-Sagem Orga - first NFC SIM, ...
- FR - Oberthur - claims to be the number #1 supplier of VISA and MCA cards
- FR - Arjo Systems - passport, eID, border control, transportation, sports and events
- FR - TazTag - NFC Zigbee personal device
- FR - ASK - Sophia-Antipolis - ref ook Weneo paper ticket
- FR - Gemalto (Gemplus + Axalto), e.g. m-payment in Nice
- FR - Cinterion - M2M eg for electric vehicles and their loading - now Gemalto
- FR - Gemplus - now Gemalto
- FR - Ingenico - readers and terminals
- FR/US - SchlumbergerSema - from oilfields to smartcards - BELPIC
- FR - ActivCard - inception in 1987 in Paris, now HQ in Fremont,CA - supplies a.o. US.DOD ID card
- smart cards
- secure printing: identity cards, driver licences, visas, banknotes, cheques, ...
- gaming and lottery technology
- smart transport of funds (axytrans)
Vendors - Asia
Vendors - US