Welcome - Marc Sel
Over the years, I specialised in Information Security. I was initially drawn into the field by doing project work where security was particularly relevant. I developed
experience from a hands-on perspective, and decided to consolidate it in a Master Degree in Information Security from Royal Holloway.
My Master thesis received the David Lindsey Memorial price of the British Computer Society for best security thesis of 2002.
Also, I am
Over the years I performed many security consulting and review assignments in a variety of organisational, technical and political settings. These included a.o.
- member of the IFIP WG 11.11 on Trust Management
- ENISA CEI expert on electronic identification and authentication (listed 2017-2020)
These assignment were performed for public and private sector clients. Methodologies were either public domain methodologies such as
ISO (27001, 15408) or CRAMM, PwC's proprietary (e.g. Nora-Network-Oriented-Risk-Analysis, SPT-Security-Penetration-Testing), or ISF (e.g. IRAM, Sara, Sprint).
I can't devote enough time to it, but I still like to develop software.
Regarding electronic identity and trust, I participated in a.o.
- applications of crytography, including pseudonymisation, blockchain (see the movie) and cryptocurrencies
- authorisation management including rule, role and attribute based access control
- security management, organisation as well as technical security architecture design
- risk analysis
- network security
- in-depth review and penetration testing
- PKI, biometrics and smart card work
- FutureTrust - Project ID 700542, funded under H2020-EU.3.7 Secure societies
As well as
- SMART 2010/0008 - Feasibility study electronic identification, authentication and signature policy
- SMART 2012/0001 - Implementation study for pan-European identification and trust framework
- SMART 2015/0046 - Take-up of eID and trust services
- SMART 2016/0094 - eIDAS on-boarding for KYC and AML
I'm also familiar with Information Security Management and ISO 27001. To find out more about my areas of expertise, contact me or have a look at the other sections.
For more information on the British Computer Society's David Lindsay Memorial, visit the BCS website.
- DG HOME/DIGIT studies under framework contract DIGIT/R2/PO/2013/004 (Smart Border proof of concept EES/RTP, and ETIAS study)
- DG CONNECT/DIGIT EBSI - European Blockchain Service Infrastructure
- eu-LISA Smart Borders' proof of concept